DETAILS MATTER: THE FIRST TASTE IS WITH THE EYES
“When you’re competing at the level of Michelin Stars, it’s truly disappointing when a food critic ends off his or her dining experience with a poor quality tea on the palate. The detail of selecting a great tea for your restaurant can make all the difference, which is why I choose Tealeaves.”
– Executive Chef Shaun Hergatt, Juni NYC (2-Star Awarded Michelin Chef)
For over 20 years, TEALEAVES has been the tea brand of choice to five-star hotels and Michelin chefs worldwide. Why? Because in luxury, it’s the details that matter.
We hand blend our teas specifically for color, alongside aroma and taste, with understanding that “the first taste is with the eyes”.
With this in mind, we collaborated with the Pantone Color Institute to co-design new packaging for our iconic Whole Leaf Pyramid Teabag collection.
CREATING A PALETTE FOR YOUR PALATE
As master blenders, we like to think that each of the blends we create have a particular personality.
We distilled the stories, culture, and flavor profiles behind our teas to determine what moods were most evocative of each one.
Understanding the relationship that mood has with color, the Pantone Color Institute selected for us bespoke colors for the packaging of our blends.
EXPRESSIONS OF ART AND TEALEAVES: A FEAST FOR THE EYES
Over 30 world-class Executive Chefs, Pastry Chefs, and Mixologists all volunteered their time to help us celebrate the launch.
Using the collection as their muse, and with plate and glass as their canvas, these masters of their craft created works of art using Tea + Color + Mood representative of the collection.
Fascinated by color’s potential to excite and delight, we reached out to experts in design—from OPI to Nike—to learn from the best outside our industry and improve our craft. We documented the journey to share with you, with belief that the best condiment to any cup of tea is a wisdom to share and a great story to tell.
Together, we created a “feast for the eyes”, blending borders between culinary and design.
Welcome to #PaletteForYourPalate.
TEALEAVES is grateful to our partners, collaborators, and friends that made it possible to share the Tealeaves x Pantone: #PaletteForYourPalate exhibition with you.
CONTRIBUTING HOTEL PROPERTIES AND RESTAURANTS
- Executive Chef Alex Chen | Boulevard Kitchen & Oyster Bar
- Lead Mixologist Grant Sceney | Fairmont Pacific Rim
- Master Mixologist Papi Hurtado | The Rittenhouse Philadelphia
- MO Bar & Lounge Manager Steven Minor | Mandarin Oriental Miami
- Executive Pastry Chef Bruno Feldeisen | Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver
- Executive Chef Jonathan Cichon | The Rittenhouse Philadelphia
- MO Bar & Lounge Manager Julie Van Zant | Mandarin Oriental New York
- Chef Christine Yen | Tealeaves
- Executive Chef Diego Oka | Mandarin Oriental Miami
- Bartender Shannon Marshall | Four Seasons Hotel Toronto
- Executive Chef Christophe Bonzon | Chez Christophe Chocolaterie Patisserie
- Executive Chef Daniel Schick | Omni King Edward Hotel
- Hospitality Manager Milos Vujovic | The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort
- Executive Chef Timothy Wetzel | Rosewood CordeValle
- Director of Restaurants Robert Rouleau | The Beverly Hills Hotel
- Pastry Chef Mina Pizarro | Juni
- Executive Chef Cyrille Pannier | Four Seasons Los Angeles at Beverly Hills
- Mixologist Michael LaPenna | Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
- Sous-chef Elaine Wong | Omni King Edward Hotel
- Bartender Todd Zimmerman | Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver
- Outlets Manager Kevin Spicknell | Omni King Edward Hotel
- Executive Chef Olivier Belliard | The St. Regis San Francisco
- Executive Pastry Chef Adam Chandler | Beta5 Chocolates
- Owner & Executive Chef Shaun Hergatt | Juni
- Assistant Outlet Manager Herbert Yuen | Andaz West Hollywood
- Pastry Chef Alex Abley | Railtown Cafe
- Executive Chef Tory Martindale | Four Seasons Resort Palm Beach
- MO Bar & Lounge Manager Matthew McElroy | Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort
- Pastry Chef Tova du Plessis | The Rittenhouse Philadelphia
- Executive Chef Antonio Cardoso | Conrad New York
- Mixologist Cesar De La Rosa | Delano Las Vegas
- Pastry Sous Chef Michael Sotomango | Mandarin Oriental Miami
DOCUMENTARY FEATURED INTERVIEWEES
- Adam Brumberg | Deputy Director, Cornell Food and Brand Lab
- Ann Stone | Lecturer, UBC
- Dave Schenone | Equipment Innovation Director, Nike
- Dr. Donald McPherson | Co-Founder, Enchroma
- Frank Kozik | Creative Director, Kidrobot
- Dr. Karen B. Schloss | Assistant Professor, Brown University
- Lana Sutherland | CEO, Tealeaves
- Laura Guido-Clark | Founder, Laura Guido-Clark Design
- Laurie Pressman | Vice-President, Pantone Color Institute
- Executive Chef Shaun Hergatt | Two-Star Michelin | Juni, NYC
- Suzi Weiss-Fischmann | Co-Founder, OPI
- Achim Lenders | Global Vice President of Food & Beverage, Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide
- Andy Schmeder | CTO, Enchroma
- Barbara Barry | Founder, Barbara Barry Inc.
- Dana Keller | Artist, History in Color
- David Schwen | Artist, Pantone Pairings
- Dr. Eva Hyatt and Dr. Larry Garber | Researchers, “Measuring Consumer Response to Food Products”
- Ethan Zachery Scott | Artist, EZwithETHAN
- Federica Caserio and Giovanni Manzini | Artists, Moji Itten
- Hedvig Astrom | Artist, Pantone Smoothies
- Inka Mathew | Artist, Tiny PMS Swatch
- Sket One | Vinyl Toy and Graffiti Artist
- Tony Dykes | Co-Founder, EnChroma
- Tony Lee | Creative Director, Crank Idea
- Albert Shum, Microsoft
- Brooks Tippett, Pantone
- Chad Kaszer
- Chris Blohm
- Dale Darlington
- Kaoru Wang
- Karen Latelme, Pantone
- Natali Tofiloski, MAVERICK
- Molly Walsh, Pantone
- Richard Soar, Pantone
- Russell Taylor, SFU SIAT
- Shannon Rivers, Kidrobot
- Tom Bassett, Bassett & Partners